Monday, October 16, 2006

Early Mornings


I woke up at 3:45 this morning.

3:45! Yeah, that's early.

So I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't. I've figured out that it's best not to fight it, so I got up, and was at the office at 5am. I've had a cold for the last week--first in my lungs, now in my sinuses--so I think it's on the way out, but it's made for some miserable days and nights. Did I mention I don't do "sick" well?

So it's 5 in the morning and I'm driving through Lincoln. It's obviously still dark but warm, and there's a musty smell in the air, like the leaves are turning to dirt while they're still on the branches, or like a 50 lb. cat decided to roll around all night on the back porch. One of my fears when I leave this early in the morning is being greeted by a possum or a skunk. I hate both, especially if they're mean or have rabies.

I wasn't expecting to see anyone out, but I saw two people out separately, walking their dogs. "What are they doing up this early?" I thought. "Oh yeah, I'm up too."

It's quiet this early in the morning, quiet and peaceful, and even though I have a long day ahead of me I felt like today was going to be a good day. In a few hours people will start arriving to work. A couple hours later students will start waking up, and in about eight hours from now I'll be lecturing on 18th century art. Not bad for a Monday.

4 comments:

Enemy of the Republic said...

Not bad at all. When I wake up that early, I always write or catch up on email stuff. I guess in Philly one doesn't think of walking around that early, but I'd probably be okay where I'm at. Wishing you a great lecture today. My students are turning in papers and working in groups on Genesis. My other class is getting treated to a power point on good old Karl Marx.

Cliff said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. Hope you have a good day too.

Cliff said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. Hope you have a good day too.

Anonymous said...

So,... I am eager to know how the day turned out?

I especially like morning and watching the sunrise (best time to shoot squirrels too).