Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Recovering, Uncovering

Living with half a heart, part of a soul,

While another carries around a piece of you.

Meanwhile walking in shadows, the world moves . . . on. Leaves fall, seasons change. The winter winds breeze their icy

breath, whispering death.

And you have to keep moving, walking dead, waiting for the intake of breath and the coming spring, or hibernate in a cocoon of spent hope.

Beauty in pain. Growth in sadness. Many are afraid of it, shy away from it, run from it.

Take a pill, hide it, mask it, shoot it up, make it go away, they say.

Or feel it, swim in it, turn the memories over like a precious stone, grow from it, appreciate it, and become wise.

Punching hands, kicking feet, hammering down blows, just to feel . . . something.

Sweat, blood, muscles ache, jaws hurt, and sweep the wound clean.

Tears rain down, screams scrape heaven with their cries.

And then silence.

No answers, but peaceful nights. Sleep. Hope. Learning to value, to see. Abandonment of pride, and past pain.

Fighting to hold it close, letting it go, dreaming of days gone by and not yet come. Will this wrestling match ever end?

Laughing again. Silent peace. Trust. Healing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good Cliff! I liked it so much I had to read it again!

Anonymous said...

I'll be moving home for good. This is my last semester here. Its sad and very exciting at the same time! I'm definitely going to miss LCC, but then again I'm not going to miss the school thing at all. haha

mrs a. said...

this is great :) thanks for sharing!

Enemy of the Republic said...

Some wounds don't heal completely, but scar over and you just get used to the fact that one part of you is gone, but another one is growing, maybe to compensate for the loss, but maybe it is to say: you may not feel better, but you are better off.

I don't know--I struggle with your same battle.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by. I'm sorry I haven't written you back--work has been consuming. I just did an online book review that may interest you--I wonder if anyone at your job is aware of this new edition that just came out of the NT. Cool stuff; you would like it. If I can get you a freebie, I will!