Thursday, February 15, 2007

I Don't Get Augustine: a Journal Entry

I hesitate to post in the blogworld these days. After blogging for a while, you forget that people actually read your stuff, even if they don't comment, and sometimes these are people you've never met, or may not want to know your business, and sometimes it feels ugly to put out things you're thinking and know that someone can judge you for it.

It's one of the reasons I moved more to the fictional perspective. I may or may not agree with the perspectives of the characters I use. They may or may not be me. I want what I write to be something more than constipated whining. I should leave that in journals.

But today I'm breaking that a little, moving back to the journal format.

Yesterday I shoveled for three hours and am feeling it some in my lower back. It's a good feeling. I didn't take pictures of our neighborhood, but really regret it now. The place was transformed. It was quiet, it was peaceful, it was really white, and the soft powdery snow dunes could have been a scene out of the Arctic, or a very washed out desert. I shoveled out four different houses in the process, and while everyone was well hidden on Tuesday when the storm was going through, yesterday it was like we all wanted to emerge again to begin the digging. It's things like this that I enjoy because it creates a kind of community that disappears once again after the crisis is over.

So I'm also reading through Augustine's Confessions, trying to put together a lecture in a couple weeks. I have to admit, I haven't liked him much. He seems narcissistic at times, overly obsessed with every thought and movement he makes. He reminds me too much of me. I especially didn't like the parts when he was writing about his early childhood, suggesting that everything physical was bad, everything spiritual was good. It reminded me too much of things I heard as a kid, and the hang-ups a lot of Christians have had over sex, the environment, physical beauty, and art and culture. I see a lot of good in those things, though I realize too that I see a lot of stuff that's twisted, or downright ugly, shallow, or evil.

As I've been reading on in Augustine, maybe what I think he's saying isn't what he's saying at all, or maybe he's coming to a maturing understanding. Last night in the section I read, he acknowledges that God created this good, and makes statements that evil is a twisting of that good rather than an equal and opposite opposing force.

That's what I don't get. Earlier he said he thought they WERE opposing forces, reflecting more a Manichean (?) or Zoroastrian idea. So which is it? What does he believe and what's he trying to say? Or is this a reflection of changing thinking, maturing, the willingness to change his views over time. If I want the benefit of the doubt for revising my thinking, I guess he deserves it too.

I'm no Augustine expert, and I'm still not sure I like him. In the midst of first year teaching at a new college with new material, I'm finding myself wrestling, a lot. I gave a lecture on the Celts the other day. I really LIKE the Celts, and I was excited about talking about them, but when the lecture was said and done, I felt like I really bombed. I was sick, and couldn't think clearly, but it was more than that. I wondered if I said what I'd wanted to, if it was communicated well, and realized it probably wasn't. I told a story, not a lecture, and was hard to follow. I was told, "Think more bullet points, not paragraphs." This was good advice, I just haven't seemed to be able to figure out consistently yet how to do that. I think the potential was there for a great lecture, but the presentation . . . that still needs work.

Enough obsessing.

5 comments:

Enemy of the Republic said...

Reading Augustine is painful at first, because he seems like an egocentric twit. Frankly the Confessions are less useful than the City of God, which is a tough one to get. The key to Augustine is this: He is a work in progress as are we all who profess to be saved. He was in his 40s when he wrote it and he still had lots of living to do. In a way, he is coming to terms with what sin is. And in the process, he has to let go of self, which he doesn't do in that book at all, but he does do it more effectively in City of God. Like him or not, the man is part of the bedrock of Christian theology. He researched and meditated on the Trinity, seeking out what could have been Christ and what could have been the Holy Spirit within Genesis, a meaningful book for him. I would argue that he is one of the first Christians to wonder about creation: what does 6 days of creation really mean? What is time to God, because if God always was, then does God equate time? These are neoplatonic thoughts, even though he also considered Aristotle to be the great father of philosophy and his greatest disciple, St. Thomas of Aquinas, rewrote Aristotle in a Christian framework. St. Augustine in the Confessions pays homage to St. Ambrose and notes the Christian mystics as examples of piety that he would like to attain, but he really is too much the intellectual and Roman citizen for such a thing. I am not an expert on him; I know people who are and they can talk forever on him. To me, he was the first to try to put Christ in the context of our lives: the whole theory of just war begins with Augustine and is perfected by Aquinas. He isn't fun to read, but try to take him as a part of intellectual theological history, even if his views do not strike you as contemporarily Christian. (He was Catholic.)

The Kevin Franz said...

I'm with you on the back pain... I had 4ft of snow in my drive and main walkway. 3 of us shoveling 3 times to keep it clear.

I was as whiney as anyone afterwards... but the pain was a good pain. It felt great to use muscles that have been dormant for so long.

and...

reading this latest journal entry was certainly causing me to wake up a brain cell or two.

Good see you back in the saddle.
Miss our beer drinking and shots of Celtic Crossing!

Cliff said...

Enemy,

Thanks. This helps a lot, and I was hoping you'd respond :). I'm glad that we had some similar responses to him, though you've come to appreciate him more than I have (yet). Maybe I'm getting there. Thanks heaps!

Kevin,

Yes, pain, lots of pain, but good pain (?). I enjoyed it actually, but have been walking a little funny the last couple days. Celtic Crossing sounds great to me, and a tall pint of Hefeweisen. Slainte!

Enemy of the Republic said...

He isn't fun on the first read. Try to step back and locate his vision in the progress of Christian theology. You don't have to like him. I personally don't find him likeable. But I admire him. My husband can't stand Aquinas and you know that I think the sun rises and sets with him!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I didn't like Augustine either. We get some messed up theology from him. I wrote my 303 research paper on St. Francis and found that much more inspiring and enjoyable.

BTW...I loved your lecture on the Celts. I haven't been very impressed with some of the people or groups that we've studied this semester, but I loved what you said about the Celts.

Bethany W