Thursday, July 13, 2006

In Honor of J. Rob: A dream


I have a lot of dreams where I'm out at sea. It's not one of these calmly placid seas with a breathtaking sunset either, but dark, stormy, swirling, like a giant stomach with heartburn, or the Perfect Storm 20 minutes before it becomes the "perfect" storm. There are always sea creatures just below the surface, big ones. Take that back . . . HUGE! They're bumping against the boat, and the water's clear enough where we can see them. No one wants to go for a swim, and we hope we won't fall overboard.

In the dream last night the ship went down and we died, or at least one person died, and because they died the rest followed, kind of like in the Matrix where one of the other gets the plug pulled on them. Next, we all wake up in a room. We're all together, except for a few people, and they materialize soon after they've died. The world that was the one we were living in is now below us. We can't go back there because we can't breathe the air. It would be like diving below the water and breathing in a lungful of water. You couldn't do it and it would hurt if you tried. The air here was somehow better, and we were still us, but in a different place. And then the dying began again. Someone got shot in this new world, which meant that everyone else, one by one, would disappear only to reappear in the next world.

One thing I noticed about the group was there was tension between us. Conflicts that had been going on in one world followed us into the other. We had to talk out the problems, work them out, or else have to deal with them in the next world. I'm not a believer in karma or reincarnation, but if the first person who thought up that philosophy on life had a dream like I had, I can see why they would begin to believe that life is one big circle, and the issues we have in one lifetime follow us into the next (karma) as we follow the cycle, the wheel, through reincarnation until something changes. The people stay the same thought the venue changes. Kind of like one big pub crawl on a Friday night.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

LJ,

Thanks for your comment. Definitely made me think and great point. It's like we get stuck at that point until we deal with it. This applies to marriages, dealing with abuse, emotional issues, and conflict in general. I think conflict's scary, so we often avoid it, but it can be the doorway to growth and better relationships. I'm writing this because it's easy to say and hard to do, and am thinking how this fits with current friendships.

Have you posted on L,L, and P? I'd like to read more of your stuff if you could point me in the general direction.

Fatty,

Wow, neat perspective. I'm looking for a couch though at the moment :). I hadn't thought about the dream in that way, so your comment hit me between the eyes in a good way. I haven't been afraid of death until I neared the 30 mark and now do wonder if what I've believed up to this point is true. It's like someone saying "Jump," and believing there was a safety net. But then actually jumping is totally different. I think there's at least a moment when you're free falling out over space when you wonder if the net's there, if it'll break, if it'll be pulled away, but by then you've made the commitment and have to face the reality of it in a very different way.

I've also recently moved, so maybe transitions are a death of sorts, a change, and taking some things with us and leaving others behind. There was relief in my dream that the people were there at the new venue. Maybe that's comforting.

At the same time I dreamed I was in a house we used to live in, everybody was gone (ironically to church), but me. I was running late. I felt a deep sense of evil and realized there was something downstairs. I tried to exorcise it, in some almost comical ways, and others not so much, and also called my dad so I wouldn't have to fight it alone. Sounds weird, huh? Don't know if there's a connection to the dreams or if they stand in isolation, or if I just had weird stuff for supper.

Enemy of the Republic said...

Finally, my blog is showing your posts. I plan to read them all, but I want to think about them before I reply.

J>ROB said...

A Friday night pub crawl sound fun! I doubt if that is the sentiment of your dream though -- sounds more ominous. I wonder how you were physiologically when you woke up from that dream. Cold sweat? Scared? Nervous? Sad?

Thanks for the props!